Mel Leaman Free Clinic is here to provide high quality health care to patients who qualify. As a patient, you can expect to receive consideration and respectful care. We will honor your right to be involved in making decisions about your health care. All information regarding your health and financial situation will be treated confidentially.
To be eligible to receive health care services at Mel Leaman Free Clinic, patients must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a resident of Smyth, Grayson, or Washington counties, Virginia
- Must meet income guidelines (guidelines can be found in the forms section below)
- Must not have any form of health insurance
Unacceptable criteria include:
- You are not a Smyth, Grayson, or Washington County, Virginia resident
- If you have medical insurance of any kind, including Medicaid, Medicare, and/or disability insurance
- If your annual income exceeds 200% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines
A variety of services are offered at the clinic, including, but not limited to:
Acute Medical Care
- Colds & Flu
- Sore Throat
- Abdominal Discomfort
- Minor Illnesses and Injuries
- Sinus Infections
- Urinary Tract Infections
Chronic Medical Care
- Thyroid Disorder and Other Chronic Disorders
- High Cholesterol
- Laboratory Testing
- Diabetic Eye Exams
- Medication Assistance Program *
- Behavioral Health
- Nutrition Counseling
- Flu Vaccines
- Dental Hygiene
*Mel Leaman Free Clinic does not prescribe controlled substances. At no time are controlled substances kept in the clinic.
Making an Appointment
Patients will be seen by appointment only. If you believe you qualify for treatment at the clinic, please contact us to verify eligibility and schedule an appointment.
Patient Information and Forms
If you are a first time patient, you must bring the following to your first appointment:
- Previous year’s tax return
- A photo ID card
- All medications you are currently taking in the bottle they came in, including aspirin and vitamins.
New patients must complete the following forms, which can be downloaded, printed, and filled out prior to your visit. Please DO NOT sign the forms until you arrive for your appointment.